Sunday, October 26, 2008

More stars in my eyes: Star Quilt with Vine Border

I seem to have a lot of Star quilts; its something I hadn't realized before. This is another quilt that I've finished for the New Year's Eve Challenge. I'm so glad I joined this Challenge as its given me the oomph I needed: I've wanted to finish this quilt for a while (I really like it) but I couldn't think how to quilt it. I couldn't even decide if I should hand or machine quilt it. Under the pressure of just telling myself: ok, now's the time, I did it and I'm very happy with my quilting choices. I waffle quilted ( wavy line grid) the center

and I like the effect, then I outlined the machine applique vine very close to the vine (like in- the- ditch quilting) and quilted a cable in the top and bottom borders.





I had filled the centers of vines with my initials and multi-colored flowers, all done in outline embroidery( much like Redwork) so I decided not to quilt the background of the vine borders with a filler design (which I probably would have done if I had hand quilted.) I did once see a photo of a quilt that was machine quilted over outline embroidery designs but I guess I'm just not brave enough.

The machine appliqued vine border is inspired by the vines found in a mosaic floor from a 6th century synagogue at Naro in Tunisia. I used to work as an archaeological restorer, though never on mosaics (pottery, stone and once, Roman glass) . I love designs from ancient mosaics-years ago, we spent almost a week walking around Pompeii (the frescos are also wonderful). Ami Simms wrote a book "Classic Quilts:Patchwork Designs from Ancient Rome" years ago featuring designs from mosaics but she dealt with patchwork not applique designs.






8 comments:

Neabear said...

That is beautiful! You do such wonderful work on your quilts. Hope you are having a good weekend.

Eileen said...

Absolutely stunning. The vine border with the embroidery is a so exquisite! So interesting to hear how it was inspired. Beautiful quilt! Aren't you glad you finally quilted it?!

Jane O' said...

I just stumbled on your blog through My Dollhouse Adventures. I, too am a quilter -- since 1991. I really enjoyed scrolling through and looking at your beautiful projects. I'll be back.

Susan said...

I am seeing a pattern here...pink stars seem to be a favorite. I love pink although I have not made a star quilt yet. I like how you quilted it, too.

Roslyn said...

My first visit to your blog, Miri. I keep finding blogging quilters I didn't know about, I wonder just how many there are of us?
Your star & vine quilt is lovely, lots of work with all that embroidery!
And I love the sweet little pink geese quilt too.
Roslyn

Susan said...

Oh, this is so beautiful and soft-looking. The vine border and the unusual embroidery are wonderful. And the quilting gives it the look of a quilt that has been well-loved. But best of all, I love your soft and antique-y looking colors.
Am looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Browndirtcottage said...

oh miri....beautiful quilts you have done...such a nice blog...i'm glad you found your way over to mine...i'm so glad you don't swim in a bikini....i don't either!!! every tuesday i have a question..hope you come by next tuesday for the new question!!

Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous...the colours, the design, the quilting...I LOVE IT!!