Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Floral Mock Log Cabin Quilt Finished

I finished this quilt last week and its already at home at its new owners! The patchwork pattern is a variation on the mock log cabin pattern, woodpile. Its fast and fun to do-all strip piecing. I used all florals and it has a very sweet colorwash look, I think. It is machine quilted with an overall cable design.

Its a lap quilt and I thought it looked a little long and narrow so I added an extra narrow border only on the sides-which gave me room for a little free motion quilting in a leaf/vine pattern with a few leafy hearts thrown in.
Here's a close-up of one block-you can see the cable quilting too, done in a variegated thread. I use my walking foot whenever I do cables-I just gently turn the quilt like you do for any curved sewing - such as sewing sleeves.
I just love the back of this quilt...it reminds me of the wonderful North Country whole cloth quilts I saw on our trip to England a few years ago. It makes me think that maybe I want to make a machine quilted whole cloth quilt. (BTW, the pillow is hand quilted!)
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like your cables
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Barb said...

That is wonderful...the quilting on it is just as wonderful!!

Coloradolady said...

I love this pattern, the design is so pleasing to the eye. love it.

Susan said...

Miri, this is gorgeous. Your colors are great and the cables are wonderful!

Bea said...

What a wonderful soft looking quilt. Just the kind you want to snuggle up in. Nice work. :)Bea

Julia said...

Wow Miri...that is gorgeous!
Love your quilting..
Julia ♥

Carrie P. said...

Great quilt and you did a super job on the quilting.

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

A beautiful quilt, I love your quilting on this xo

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Miri, it's gorgeous! I really like how you've quilted it. You're giving me ideas!

Eileen said...

wow.. that cable quilting is gorgeous! Just think how long that would have taken by hand.

Roslyn said...

The Log Cabin is lovely Miri & you did great job on the DSM with the quilting.