Sunday, October 30, 2011

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Fall 2011

Its that time again: the Blogger's Quilt Festival Fall 2011...and more than 350 quilts are on view at Amy's Creative Side. I'm coming a little late to the party but I just put the last stitch on this quilt.

I'm calling it, not very creatively, The Circle Quilt.
The circles are made from left-over cut-offs from my Drunkard's Path Quilt. (BTW, you can see a tutorial on using Marti Mitchell's templates for this quilt on my side board.) I actually hand-pieced the quarter circles last spring when I was visiting (and helping out a bit with) my new twin granddaughters in Boston. I machine appliqued the circles with a buttonhole stitch...you can see how I used iron-on interfacing to make this super easy to do here.

I used an overall free motion quilting pattern of simple round loops and I've really happy with the look...and it was quick too.


I love the bright yellow and white circles on this narrow red and white striped fabric. The stripes are about 1/8" wide. I used it in the binding and I'm enjoying the horizontal stripe in the narrow 1/4" binding.

Here's the back...a minimalist quilting delight!

14 comments:

Barb said...

I love the yellow, looks great!

Pat Merkle said...

Cool quilt. Some day I'm going to try to sew circles! Great job.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love, love, love this quilt.
Karen

Denise :) said...

Oh my gosh, Miri -- this is beautifully put together! I can only imagine how much work it took to line up all your stripes -- and I love that you used the strips horizontally in the binding, too! :)

Jolanda said...

Very nice quilt!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

You inspire me, Miri. I have some leftover drunkard's pieces I need to use.

Hilachas said...

Your quilt is gorgeous and what beautiful colors you chose. WTG,

Roslyn said...

Ooh nicely done Miri I hope I am not too late to join the show!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous quilt. I love curves in quilts. Thank you for your lovely comment on my Quilt Festival quilt too :)

Rona said...

I love circles. I've written up a tutorial for machine piecing circles. I think I saw it on one of the quilting TV shows but I can't remember which one. I think your design is stunning in its simplicity. A great idea - that I may use some time... :)

My tutorial is here. http://layer-upon-layer.blogspot.com/2011/01/making-great-circles.html

Lyanna L. said...

I like the circles on the quilt. I design my own patterns and am actually working on one featuring circles - great job! thanks for sharing! =)

Sandra said...

Love the feel of this quilt, reminds me of PA pink and yellow antique quilts. Congrats on the twins.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving lovely comments on both my entries.

Eileen said...

Great quilt. Really nice color combination. Like your quilting. Goes so well with the design. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

Marg said...

Wow, it's a show stopper. I love the bright yellow and red against the white. I love circles and this is stunning.
I think I might have to try some drunkards path blocks as I'm inspired by this quilt.