Monday, May 25, 2009

Disappearing 9 Patch Quilt finished!

I finished the Disappearing 9 Patch quilt and I'm really happy with how its turned out. When its tossed on a chair, it really looks good, with the pieced back blending in well so you can't tell the front from the back! Cool :)
Here's a pix of the whole front, so you can see the border and looking above realize what's the back..the wind was blowing rather briskly and blew the border up.
This is a close up of the machine quilting...I'm quite proud of myself-I usually mark a pattern when I'm free motion quilting a wreath or in a border but this leaf pattern is unmarked and was done completely "free-hand"!. It was fun and I'm going to try to do more of this type of machine quilting...sure is fast with no marking!
I used my walking foot for the wavy grid quilting and the outline quilting in the setting triangles...you can see here how I traveled from one triangle to the next by quilting in the ditch. (Its much less noticeable on the quilt itself.)

I've picked the fabrics for my Spring Blooms Mini Quilt Swap...I'm going with 30s reproductions as 30s fabrics and colors always say spring to me!
I also have this jelly roll to dip into. Don't these just shout Spring!


Shhh, I've picked the design and have even gotten started!



10 comments:

Julia said...

Love the quilt Miri. This pattern is great to do , your quilting is lovely...I need to be more adventureous when free motion quilting..
Julia ♥

Susan said...

The quilt is gorgeous!!! Your colors blend beautifully. Thanks for sharing your quilting technique because I am still learning and I like how you said you stitched in the ditch to get to another triangle...that is so helpful. Pretty swap fabrics too.

Bea said...

What a fun quilt! I've seen that pattern but haven't made one. It's such a clever way to make those blocks. Great quilting, good for you.
:)Bea
//dog-in-the-hole-studio.blogspot.com//

Hillary said...

Ooh! good for you getting your quilt done and starting the spring blooms quilt! I found you through the Black & White quilt challenge page & was excited to see you're participating in the Mini Quilt Swap too! I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Your quilt turned out so pretty! Those fabrics are just perfect. Can't wait to see what your 30's repros become.

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

That is just beautiful! I hadn't seen a Disappearing Nine-Patch before. I love it!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Great quilt! Love the colors

Anonymous said...

Awesome quilt!

C. C. said...

I really like your fabrics! I have the same type of fabrics in my stash; I like the reproductions, 30's, cottage roses, etc.

You did a nice job on your quilt; the free hand turned out perfectly! Sometimes you just have to go with it!

Have a nice week!

C. C.

Eileen said...

I am really late on commenting.. but wow.. this post is full of eye-candy. Your quilt has the absolute perfect combination of colors.. stunning!! That shade of blue with the red green and brown is so striking.

And I can't wait to see what your new project is.. with 30's repros!