Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Vintage Thursday Thingie: quilt blocks

I thought I would share what I call my "study collection" of vintage blocks and bits of quilts. Today I'm sharing the older part of my collection from around the turn of the last century, c.1900. All of these were purchased or given to me by Rose Gallo (antiques and quilts) in Bucks County, Pennsylvania.




You can learn a surprising amount of information from how quilts were constructed to patterns of wear on quilts and fabrics when you have bits and pieces like these.




This first photo is of a piece of a quilt, one side includes the binding (top side here). I love how the quilter used half blocks to get the quilt to be the size she wanted! Here's a close-up of the damaged spot. You can see how the batting bunched. (No, I didn't open this, it came this way: with a window to the insides-all secrets revealed!) This photo also shows best the true colors.







Here you can see the how the binding has been created by folding over the backing fabric. Though this binding method is not used alot today, I have seen it on many older quilts .


You can also see in this closeup the quilting pattern: outline quilting around the trianges.This probably helped contribute to the clumbing of the batting as there was no quilting to hold the batting in place-which is why today most cotton batts are needlepunched. (Batts in 1900 required either 1/4"-1/2" quilting or the furthest apart, 2")





These are a collection of loose blocks.




Frugal...do you think you are frugal when quilting? Check out this lady! Here she pieced a bit on the brown fabric to make her piece big enough-hence the double line next to the seam.








Here she pieced a little triangle of fabric to the brown...look how beautifully she matched the pattern.




I've always wondered if I have these blocks because when setting the quilt she found she had enough blocks and didn't use these because of the extra piecing.


Here you can see some of the damage that these blocks have sustained over the years. This and the others had been sewn to other blocks but I see no signs of quilting...was this in an unquilted summer spread?









Hope you enjoyed seeing my "study collection". Personally, I love looking at these fabrics-that brown is just too wonderful! Next week, I'll show my 1930s bits and pieces.




To see more vintage treasures, and to join us hop right on over to Coloradolady.







27 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you sure have quite a collection! I have one old top that my grandma made and one day maybe I will repair it and quilt it and I have one quilt my grandma made that is in good shape.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Postcardy said...

Those bits and pieces have found a good home.

Amy said...

I have enjoyed your collection, I'm only a beginner quilter but I"m hoping that since I no longer work full time I"ll have more time to catch up on my quilting here.

Coloradolady said...

I really enjoyed your collection....I will look forward to next weeks, as that is the the type of reproduction fabrics I am using for my first quilt project. Great post today, such fun. Have a great VTT.

Jeanne said...

Great Blocks are you going to do an orphan block quilt sometime? I think I am the queen of orphan blocks, I buy them plus I have all my rejects for numerous reasons. LOL. thanks for sharing.

CC said...

I love all your vintage blocks. They're just wonderful. I was lucky enough once to find quite a few in the bottom of a basket..while out going through some of the older shops. Some of the blocks were complete..and there was also stacks of cut out pieces..and such lovely vintage fabric. needless to say, they came home with me..and I love them.

Vicky said...

This is an interesting post to me, learn something new about quilt blocks.Thanks for sharing.

Bea said...

Miri, I always learn so much from your quilting posts. The fabric in those blocks are wonderful.

Ulla said...

Lovely post, it reminds me of how my mother has made wonders with a little piece of fabric when sewing clothes for us all.
The fabrics in your quilt blocks are beautiful. They have found the perfect place with you.

Unknown said...

I love the red and yellow combo of the first quilt.

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

Happy VTT.. this is great blocks and very informative post. thanks for sharing. have a great day

Marie Reed said...

I just love looking at youqr examples! I have a little uilt that my Grandmother made for me when I was a baby that I still sleep with:)

Anonymous said...

Old quilts are certainly a treasure! Thank you for sharing.

Garden State Kate said...

That is pretty neat. My Mum-in-law is a quilter, I just enjoy them!

honey and sage said...

What an amazing collection!
Your passion for quilting is delightful Miri- I learned so much!

elsa in germnay
www.elsaaraya.com

Susan said...

Love the post Miri. History is fascinating and you sure can learn from these old quilts. I have a couple old ones from my DH's grandmother she pieced during the Depression era. She would make them out of old curtains and drapes I think and when it wasn't enough there she would add to make it fit too. You have an amazing collection.

Donna said...

great quilts!

Micki said...

Your vintage collection is wonderful. I really enjoyed the post!
Micki

SueLovesCherries said...

Cool quilts!

Miri, the anti-roll crayons are flat on the bottom.

Threeundertwo said...

These are wonderful to look at. I love the fabrics, especially that interesting black and red print.

Jen said...

What an awesome collection. My mom is the quilter in our family, though I hope to take it up when I get some more free time. I have seen several of her quilts with the backing brought around and used as the binding, I think it's my favorite.

Unknown said...

Miri:
Feel free to use the button, I stole it from some other VTT gal! Don't remember who.

Anonymous said...

Oh Miri...how interesting. Such tedious work they used to do, they look as they would take forever to do that way. So particular they were as to detail.

That is incredibly cool that you can "read" the fabric and discover what the seamstress had in mind and sometimes even why! So so cool Miri!

Anonymous said...

Miri - Such pretty pieces! I am so glad you shared. ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic

JEWELGIRL said...

Amazing blocks! Cool to see fabric
combos from 100 years ago. I learned
a lot today! :)

Anonymous said...

you know i love vintage quilt blocks and i was salivating over yours lol!!..i love those vintage fabrics too, ssoo yummy :)

Eileen said...

Miri.. you did a wonderful job pointing out all these interesting points in your precious antique blocks. I love how she matched the pattern in that brown piece too. We truly have lost something of what quilting is all about.