Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Tutorial: A quick and easy fabric grocery bag

I had this 1/2 yard piece of fabric sitting in the closet and thought this would make a great grocery bag! Here's how I did it... its really quick and easy! (click on the pictures to enlarge)

Cut 3" from the selvage edges and trim up the edges...

Fold 1/2" in on both of the long sides of the 3" cut offs...




Fold the piece in half and take it to the sewing machine. Sew 1/4" from the two- fold folded edges and then sew again right up against the fold.


Fold the raw edges of the short sides under about 3/4" and sew that down. Voila! A handle! I did it again and had 2 handles.



Refold the big piece of fabric with right sides touching and the wrong side up.


and fold down 1" from the edge (the edge I'd cut the 3" off ) on both sides...


and sew these hems down.

Put pins in the sides and sew up the side seams.


Pull on the bottom corners to make pointy triangles, measure 2" from the point and draw a line.


Sew on the drawn line.


Repeat for the other side, turn the bag right side out and press.
Find the middle of the top of the bag, put a pin in to mark the center and measure 2 1/2" from the pin and pin a handle in place.


Sew the handle on by sewing a "square" all round the bottom of the handle and then diagonally across. Done!

My new grocery bag...cute, reusable and it won't tear easily like those funny paper fabric bags...I'm going green and you can too!



















8 comments:

Julia said...

Great idea and tutorial Miri..
Yesterday I had to pay 10 cents for a plastic bag at Target...I should make some bags to take instead!
Julia ♥

Gari in AL said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I think I will use some of my sewing fabric to make a bag to take to the quilt shop. and if I remember to take it, I may make some others.

Bea said...

Easypeasey, thank you! Great way to use up that fabric that might not get used. :)Bea

Susan said...

Cute fabric for a shopping bag and only a half of yard. Thanks for the tutorial Miri.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

What perfect fabric for a grocery bag!

Barb said...

Love the tutorial...

Micki said...

The fabric is really cute! What a wonderful tutorial!
Micki

Carrie P. said...

great job. I am going green too taking my bags to the stores when I go. Thanks for sharing.