Monday, July 6, 2009

Meatless Monday Recipe: Tofu and Black Beans

I saw a news bit on BBC about Paul McCartney and his daughters calling for Meatless Mondays to help save the planet (you know, those methane emitting cows!) Most of my meatless recipes won't do much as they use lots of cheese or eggs, but this one recipe might.

It's Tofu and Black Beans and is super easy and quick to make and best of all, delicious. None of the Chinese restaurants around here make a tofu dish, so I often make this when we're having Chinese take-out...DH leaves to pick up the food, I make this and I'm often finished before he gets back! Yep, its that fast. DS loves this dish and believe me, he is not a tofu lover (meat is his thing, like his Dad!) These are your basic ingredients.
1) 1 half cake firm tofu--make sure you get FIRM tofu...its the soft tofu that is slimy! Cut the tofu into slices and then into square or rectangular pieces...if you're not sure your family will like tofu, cut the pieces small-tofu really has no taste in itself but absorbs the tastes its cooked with...so smaller pieces means more sauce per piece!
2)1/4 cup soy sauce
3) Black beans



Drain the black beans and add to the 1/4 cup soy sauce until cup reads 2/3 (about 4 tablespoons).



4) 2 teaspoons of sugar -add to measuring cup
5) 2 teaspoons corn starch-add to measuring cup and stir until sugar and corn starch are blended in.

To store the unused tofu, cover with water in a container with a lid and refrigerate. It will stay good for a week with daily changes of water.



Before using, dry tofu with paper towels. This is true every time you use tofu...you'll notice that it was packaged wet regardless of if you're using fresh tofu from the dairy aisle of your super or boxed long life tofu from the health food aisle.





Cooking directions: Spray a frying pan with Pam and saute the tofu until lightly browned. You can see the golden color of the tofu pieces on the left-I hadn't turned the right side over yet.




Pour in the measuring cup ingredients.




Stir until thickened.



Serve with steamed broccoli and rice. (This is the only home made Chinese food I have ever made that looks like restaurant food! :)


Easy to copy and print recipe:
1/2 brick firm tofu, cut into cubes
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons white wine
about 4 tablespoons drained black beans
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons corn starch
Spray frying pan with Pam and saute tofu. Mix all the rest of the ingredients together. When tofu is lightly browned, add mixed sauce ingredients, and stir until thickened.


Check out the other recipes at Kelly's Monday Blue Plate Specials. (No, they aren't Meatless Monday Blue Plates :)






10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

yum it sure looks good! my hubby won't eat tofu but maybe if I cut it in tiny pieces like you say he won't know?
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

The Calico Cat said...

Glad to see that you are using Golan wine! (Would this work with say, chicken?)

The Calico Cat said...

OMG! I just saw the Hebrew on your soy sauce!

Bebesboutique said...

this looks so easy. I just might have to try it. I like to experiment with new foods.

Roslyn said...

I love Tofu Miri- we often have meatless meals just because I think it's a healthy thing to do. And black beans are my favorite bean!

Julia said...

Now I could eat this, but DH wouldn't...
Looks yummy though I might give it a try and see what he says..
Julia ♥

Micki said...

Tofu can be really yummy...it is what you marinate it in.
Micki

Anonymous said...

Miri - this looks wonderful. It has been a very long time since I have played with Tofu and you have inspired me to try this very healthy dish. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for participating in Blue Plate Mondays. We are nearly at fifty recipes in our cook book and this is very exciting! I am adding your recipe to our cookbook and look forward to reading more good food from you Mondays to come! ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic

annemariesquilt said...

This looks great and and a great way of saving the nature..
Is Tofu anything like goatcheese?
Just wondering..

CC said...

I've never tried tofu before..but I say..Why not try something new?? I love Chinese food and will do as you do..serve this with takeout... I may be happily surprised. Thanks so much for the recipe..