Thursday, December 31, 2009

Millenium Yo-Yo Quilt Finish!

I did it! I finished my Millenium Yo-Yo quilt before the end of the first decade of the 21st century and I just made it-I finished it last night! It is made with at least one yo-yo of all the fabrics that I had in my closet on Dec. 31, 1999-all the quilting fabrics, that is. Not every yo-yo is unique however, I didn't have that many fabrics!
It came out quite a bit smaller than I expected...I started with a 4" circle, making 2" yo-yos but when I sewed them together, they got a bit smaller.

Recognize any fabrics? There's everything from batiks to big florals to reproductions (that double pink is one of my favorite fabrics ever-I have about a 4" x 6" piece left :( .


This is probably how I will display it...isn't that a dreamy, romantic look with the net curtains, vintage bedspread and yo-yo quilt at the foot of the bed? Ever since I saw the movie "Twister" and the yo-yo quilt at the foot of the Aunt's bed, I've wanted one and now I have one!
Happy New Year! Drive carefully tonight! See you all in 2010!



15 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I don't remember the quilt in Twister - I will have to look next time I see it (it's been awhile so I might watch it again). It's nice getting one of the tops done before the new year isn't it.
Happy New Year to you.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Ulla said...

Your Yo-yo quilt looks perfect on the bed, very light.
Happy New Year!

Barb said...

You did wonderfully!! I was given an antique yo you quilt and it did hang on the wall in my foyer but now it is in storage!

Lee D said...

OMG I can't believe how much you have accomplished. The quilt is amazing. having all the different fabrics will bring back great sewing memories. By now you have celebrated New year's I hope it was a fun one.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Well, good for you! There's just nothing like finishing something you really wanted to finish. I love it!

Julia said...

Oh, wow Miri, that's so gorgeous!
Great start to the New Year!
Happy New Year!
Julia ♥

Roslyn said...

It's gorgeous Miri-but I'm still not going to make on,LOL! I seem to remember tht my Mum made some but I don't know what ever happened to them. Happy New Year to you in Israel where it is already 2010!

Anonymous said...

WOWEEE your yo-yo quilt is FABULOUS, Miri..great achievement! btw i'm loving your DWR quilt in progress too..your quilting is PERFECT!!

Happy New Year..hope we have lotsa VTT fun in 2010 :) cheers, Marian xx

Gari in AL said...

That is quite an accomplishment. I started a yo-yo quiilt this year but tired of it right away so it is in a box (maybe 25 yo-yos done). ;-)

Carrie P. said...

congratulations on your accomplishment. It is so cool. I am going to do a yo yo project this year.
Happy New Year.

Jacqui's Quilts said...

Nice!! Love that yo yo quilt. I bought a yo yo maker awhile ago and have some done...I keep them in a basket displayed on my bookshelf. Need to keep it beside my chair so I can make a few here and there :-). It looks awesome displayed on the bed like that. congrats for getting it finished just before the New year!!

Susan said...

Wow, lovely quilt to have to finish--good for you. I will have to watch Twister again to see the quilt since I can't recall it. But I love how it looks on your bed and it is very dreamy.
Happy New Year!

Scraps R Us said...

Fabulous Yo Yo quilt!

Laura said...

That is such a fun idea! It looks very nice.

Patty said...

I love your yo-yo quilt, Miri. I've seen them in magazines and online and always wanted to make one. Yours is beautiful and I love how you used fabrics from your closet. Very nice!