Saturday, May 16, 2009

Banana Cake Recipe

A new supermarket opened and not only are their prices lower, but the produce is so beautiful that I find I buy too much...instead of a small bunch of bananas, I put a great big beautiful bunch in my shopping cart! Of course, I ended up with over ripe bananas...I remember when I wanted over ripe bananas- to mash up for the babies (oh, that was long ago). Now the only thing I know to do with black bananas is make a banana cake.This recipe was given to me more than 30 years ago by my friend Eleanor's mother.

Mrs. Braun’s Banana Cake

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C

1. Beat together 1 cup sugar and ½ cup oil.
2. Add 2 eggs and 3 mashed bananas (about 1 cup). Beat well.
3. Stir in 2 cups all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and
½ teaspoon salt.
4. Add 3 tablespoons milk and ½ teaspoon vanilla.
5. Pour into greased and floured bundt pan and bake 35 minutes.

For my chocoholics, I add ½ cup chocolate chips.

If you don’t have a bundt pan, use an 8” x 8” square pan…don’t use a loaf pan.

Once the cake is cool, I pour over it a simple milk and powdered sugar glaze but it is really good without it too.

Glaze: melt 2 tablespoons butter, add 2 tablespoons milk and 1 cup powdered sugar. Stir until it boils, continue stirring until thickened. Remove from flame, add 1/2 vanilla. Cool a bit and pour over the cake. (I never wait long enough for the glaze to cool!)

Everyone really loves this cake! When we were visiting Boston, my DDIL made it for us...she puts in lots of chocolate chips!



6 comments:

Susan said...

Banana cake is my all time favorite. It was the top layer on my wedding cake. This is going in my recipe file for sure. Thanks Miri.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I make it with chocolate chips too and love it.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Bea said...

You know the wonderful thing about Banana bread or cake is that it's perfect for any meal. It's a wonderful breakfast, snack, lunch, afternoon break and well.........just an all around food group. :)Bea
//dog-in-the-hole-studio.blogspot.com//

Micki said...

What a wonderful recipe! I will have to try it, as I love anything with bananas.
Thanks so much!
Micki

annies home said...

looks delicous
I love your blog and have awarded you with a lovely blog award please visit my link to receive http://shopannies.blogspot.com/2009/05/feeling-very-special-because-of-blog.html

Roslyn said...

I want to try this next time I have too ripe bananas, Miri!It sounds very moist & good.