Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Vintage Thursday Thingie: More Quilt Blocks

This week I'm sharing quilt blocks and bits and pieces from my "study collection" that are mostly from the 1930s.





First, this is a piece of a what was once a wonderful Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt. No, I didn't cut it up, I bought a "mystery bag" at a quilt show and this was in it. The bag also contained alot of the smaller flowers already cut out of the quilt and some of the larger. (I think the original cutter must have had a plan for them...I've been trying to think of what to do with them too).





Wasn't this a wonderful setting? I've never seen a Grandmother's Flower Garden quite like this one-the mixture of the larger and smaller flowers is just charming! And the quilting is wonderful...each hexagon is outline quilted. This is the best part of the quilt: close to the way it must have looked new.




But I'm not surprised it ended up a cutter...there is alot of damage to the fabrics and also some large stains.




This is a piece of an interesting flying geese quilt top - with the geese flying both north and south! Some interesting fabrics here so don't forget to click on it to enlarge.





Here you can see some more "frugal" sewing...but this isn't as nicely matched as last week's.





Here's a 9-patch set in an interesting way...creating 4-patches between the 9-patches. You can tell that this was hand pieced, a machine sewer would have to love set-in seams to do it this way! I love the background fabric.







This next group of 6 blocks reminds me that just because something is old, doesn't mean its beautiful! I think these are the latest blocks, probably the 50s and maybe even the later-funky, huh?





And now two of my favorites:








Check out the pin holding the pattern pieces on the sewn example! The pattern was traced in pencil on the type of tissue paper used for dress patterns. Isn't it beautifully basted! I feel like I know the woman who made this test block...hope she enjoyed the finished quilt. (The block is sitting on the back of Grandmother's Flower Garden...doesn't that quilting look great!)




Last: a simple sailboat block. I have wanted to make a sailboat quilt since I started quilting. I'm the closest I've ever been...I've put fabrics aside in my closet! :)







Hope you enjoyed this peak into my this and that quilting "study collection". For more wonderful vintage treasures, go right over to Coloradolady.









19 comments:

Ulla said...

I like the way you think about the quilt blocks. They deserve to be kept, even when they are not always pretty or intact.
There are some very beautiful fabrics, too, and the special star pattern is nice.

Unknown said...

Hi, Miri! I've never seen the Grandmother's garden like that either. I really like it.

Marie Reed said...

You're right! The pictures are soooo good enlarged! You can alost touch and snuggle with them!

Virginia said...

Those are all so pretty, I know nothing about quilting!

Coloradolady said...

I enjoyed looking at your quilt blocks today! They are very interesting and the quilting looks wonderful. I love the little sailboat block...maybe if I get the hang of quilting...that will be on my to do list! Very cute!!

Have a great VTT!!

Donna said...

love those old quilts!

Postcardy said...

I really enjoy seeing the old fabrics.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

what a lot of inspiration you have there! Thanks for sharing.

Bea said...

Beautiful pieces, Miri. Grandmother's garden is wonderful. I've got an old, tattered family quilt that I am going to try to rework. Wish you here here to help.

Susan said...

Hi Miri. You would think the fabric in Grandmother's Flower Garden was the inspiration to the 1930 prints of today. I like how you use these to study, it makes it so interesting. I like your sailboat block--very nautical.

Brenda Pruitt said...

To me there's nothing more vintage and sweeter than a quilt. I quilted for years. Have arthritis in both hands now due to a car accident and subsequent surgeries. But oh, how I loved it.
Brenda

Roslyn said...

Oh Miri a woman after my own vintage quilt heart! I have been shamelessly buying on eBay! I'll show them maybe next week.

LV said...

You better believe it, I certainly enjoyed every thing about your quilts. I have several and treasure them.

CC said...

Love all the blocks..and the fabric is wonderful. That Grandmothers Garden is just beautiful. Happy VTT and hope your weekend is a lovely one.

Protector of Vintage said...

Love all the blocks and fabric. Very, very charming! Have a nice day!

Eileen said...

Your boat quilt will be super when you decide to make it.. can't wait to see your fabrics. I wish I had some of that white checked stuff that is in the vintage boat block right about now.. I am making something that needs that print but do you think i can find it new?

LOVE the nine-patch and the next one. I can't tell.. but are any of them feedsacks? or vintage cottons? I love them both, and could look at them forever.

Great post Miri!

Anonymous said...

more vintage quilt blocks that i LOVE!!..they are all adorable but my fav is the flower garden block :)

Sarah and Jack said...

The sailboat is wonderful.

I loved all of those vintage pieces!

Neabear said...

I am amazed at how you end up with these old quilt blocks. Fun to look at them and see how things were done in the past.