Monday, November 3, 2008

Folk Art Quilt

Time for another quilt from the banner: the Folk Art quilt.


The applique blocks were in the closet for years-I had enlarged the blocks from a Little Quilts design, done the hand applique and then that was it, they sat there. When I decided at the beginning of the year to machine quilt as many of the tops in the closet that I could, I found the blocks. I added the large stars and the checkerboard sashing and border to make the quilt more “youth friendly” and made the quilt twin bed size ( and now I’ve put the completed quilt in the closet :-)

Its machine quilted with a meander including
hearts around the applique blocks, outline quilted stars (by free motion-first time I tried that, fairly successful) with little moons in the stars' centers and a simple grid in the checkerboard.

3 comments:

Susan said...

These are the quilts I am drawn to. I love folk art and got away from it but my heart always go to the darker colors and primitive patterns. Your points are perfect. You have inspired me to do a star quilt and I think I will use my stash of Thimbleberries or even some Civil War fabrics too.

Eileen said...

I really love the appliqué in this quilt.. and it looks wonderful mixed with the stars.

Neabear said...

You did a beautiful job with that quilt. But then everything you do is beautiful. Have a wonderful day!