Friday, January 6, 2012

Plaid Quilt Completed...2008-2012

Yes, this plaid quilt is finished: quilting and binding...all done! Hooray!
I started this quilt in 2008 and blogged about it here (includes cutting instructions for different size blocks), here and here. Why did it take me so long to quilt it? Well, when I finished the top in 2008, it looked like this:
The border bothered me-I had sort of run out of plaids (which actually include some stripes and even a tiny polka dot) and I had pieced the inner border...if you look at the bottom right border you can see how the "stripe" in the plaid is not aligned and doesn't look good...so the top sat in the closet. Plaids don't show up in our LQS and I'd forget about this project when I was in the US. I thought about looking on-line but never did. So it sat...waiting for inspiration or a new border.
Finally inspiration came. In many antique quilts, the binding is simply the backing fabric folded over the front-why not use the the inner border as the binding and fold it over to the back. So I took off the outer green border, trimmed the corner squares and quilted. 


I folded the "border" out of the way and trimmed just as with a regular binding.


Then I folded it over to the back...its wide on the back because I liked it-I could have trimmed the border.
 Did you notice the football fabric backing? The quilt is going to DS the younger (he has his first solo-no roommates-apartment).
Here's the front-a nice 1/4" binding.
 I did simple straight line outline quilting-I thought it went best with this quilt design and to be honest, it was quick and I'm still treating my ankle a little tenderly.

                                  
Folded on the arm of our sofa-a great lap quilt rescued from the closet and much better looking than with the original border.


Stephanie at loft creations is hosting an easy does it challenge called PIPS to inspiring us all to finish those projects. My first PIPS finish!


I'm linking up to Finish it Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts and Sew and Tell at  Amylouwhosews. Stop by and see the first of 2012's fabulous finishes.

16 comments:

beth said...

WOW! I just love this one. Inspires me to GET going on a plaid quilt of my own. I need to make a quilt for my son and this would suit him too!

Paulette said...

Fabulous! I really like the "bow" effect, both horizontally and vertically. Very visually interesting! Nice job on the border/binding rework!

Lee D said...

looks wonderful. Question when cutting the plaids do you cut on the line of the fabric or just randomly? I have a fear of stripes!

Dayna said...

Wow! You must be so proud and relieved! Way to persevere! It looks great.

Heather said...

Such a wonderful quilt. It is very comfy looking , they exact one I would want to cuddle under after a long, stressful day.

Barb said...

I love the plaid!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

plaid quilt turned out great!
Karen

Jan said...

There is something extra snuggly about a plaid, or flannel, quilt. Happy to see that you brought this out to finish and enjoy. It made me smile!

ktquilts said...

Always good to clear out UFOs. Great quilt!

Ulla said...

The quilt looks great now. I love plaids, yours have nice colours.

Lynn said...

Great quilt, I have a bunch of plaid squares someone gave me a lonnnng time ago, now I'm inspired. It looks so warm and cozy!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Very good, Miri! It always makes me feel better to use something I have instead of letting it go to waste.

Heather said...

Isn't it great when the solution finally comes to you? Love what you did with the border, and the whole quilt just looks amazing. Well done! :o)

trish said...

Wow! Great job. :o)

maria said...

It's so great you finished it, the quilt is too lovely to remain unfinished and unloved.

Susan said...

Nice finish! And good solution for the binding. I've thought about binding like this and other ways. Why we don't use them like they did in the past?