Friday, July 16, 2010

Quick and Easy Pincushions

I'm leading a Redwork Club at our LQS and wanted a small project for this month while everyone is finishing up their pre-printed Penny Squares. These are super fast, easy and sooo cute!

I just drew a heart on a 4 1/2" square, angled on the square, and then drew crazy quilt lines on the heart. I drew an outline 1/4" around both the top and back squares of the pincushion. This is very important as this is how you sew the two pieces together.
Next I completed the embroidery using an outline stitch and decided to decorate the heart with French knots. For the outline of the square, I used the outline stitch on the two big pin cushions and back stitch on the small one-I didn't see that it made any difference when sewing them together.
Before starting to sew the top and bottom together, I folded each in quarters, making a guide line crease. Next I laid the top on the bottom just like in the photo.
I came up through the bottom and the top right at the crease (bottom) and the corner on the top. Then I tool the needle under the outline stitches on both pieces and moved to the next stitch...its like doing a whip stitch but I didn't go into the fabric at all.
I just kept going-even at the corner. Here you can see exactly how the needle is just under the two outline stitches as I'm approaching the next corner (and the guide crease is clearly visible too).
I just kept on until only one side from corner to crease was left. I just stuck the needle in-out of the way-and stuffed the whole thing and then continued to finish and close just as before. (LOL! I'm not the best stuffer!) I added buttons so I could pull through and kind of squish the center a little...I have to think about that step.)
I've had so much fun making these...I'm thinking of trying all sorts of things-how about if I machine sew the outline-that would make it even faster...stuff with beans or rice and forget the button for a super easy bean bag toy?...such potential-such fun!

Update on the T-shirt Bags: they're wonderful! The only thing I will do differently on the next set is I will use fabric iron-on interfacing and not paper.

Remember the bag with all the cereal boxes-4 Cheerios and 2 Captain Crunch-well, that was packed for taking to our college student son. He called just before we were leaving and asked for a few more things...I stuck in that bag a pair of jeans, two shirts, 2 books, a large bath towel...I'm telling you it was like a Harry Potter Magic Bag. It was also quite heavy and when I lifted it up I heard a faint SCRKKK-I looked- the bag was fine but I think the paper back interfacing tore a bit and the handles did stretch just a little. (He liked the bag so much-he wouldn't let me take it back.)

I'm linking to Finished for Friday at Lit and Laundry and Sew and Tell at Amylouwho.

20 comments:

Barb said...

Cute!!

concretenprimroses said...

Those are great! I'm going to check out your tshirt bag too.
Kathy

Larri said...

Those are really sweet! Thanks for showing how to put it all together. Happy Sewing! :o)

www.seamsinspired.com

Paulette said...

Those are so cute! Thanks for the little tutorial!

Leslie said...

these are adorable

Carla said...

It's very cute. It would make a nice gift to a sewer.

Dee said...

How sweet are these!

Love the smallness of them all! Super cute!

Great Friday Finishes!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Oh, Miri, they are so pretty! I love them.

p.s.phyllis sews said...

i love the red work and it's a great way to add your own creativity to the fabric!

Elizabeth said...

Oh, those little pincushions are SO cute! You mentioned wanting to try a different 'filling' for them. I used crushed walnut shells (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753590) or you could try emery sand (http://cgi.ebay.com/1-lb-60-Mesh-QUILT-EMERY-Flour-Powder-Sand-Grain-BEST_W0QQitemZ270597050015QQcategoryZ19161QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3907.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D370369133615%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7076951611141490638#ht_5264wt_911) which keeps pins sharp. Sorry for the long link.

Anyway, those are really cute. I love the clever way you put them together!

Michelle said...

What cute pincushions! Excellent tutorial too. Thanks!

Ivory Spring said...

These are adorable.

jan said...

So cute! Redwork is my favorite! I love the way it looks and no changing colors!

SewSara said...

thanks for your comment. Cute pin cushions!! :)
thanks for sharing!

Penny said...

Luv you pincushion! I like redwork too. Now I know what to do with them! Thanks for the tute.
Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

Micki said...

Love the pincushions...such a cute idea!
Micki

Karen said...

You can never have too many pin cushions!

beth said...

cute little pincushions! You did a lot of handwork!

Susan said...

These little cuties are just what I need to do right now. Thanks.

Sammy said...

Thank you for sharing how to make these pin cushions.
They are lovely :-)


-Samya