Monday, June 21, 2010

Tuesday's Tomes: Persuasion by Jane Austen plus a fun Quiz

I think this is my very best favorite Jane Austen book…have I shocked you?

Its not that I don’t love Pride and Prejudice ( I’ve even read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies-more about that next week!), there’s just something about this little novel, Jane Austen’s last complete work, that makes my heart sing.

Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth broke their engagement 8 years earlier- with regret on her side and anger on his…now they meet again.

Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth…what can I say! Silly Baronet Elliot and what’s-up-with-her Elizabeth…never too old to learn Lady Russell. .the characters are all delightful and while there isn’t a Mr. Collins there is Mr. Elliot-a most excellent villain.

We get a wonderful tour of Lyme and Bath with even an insider joke by Ms. Austen. “I hope we shall be in Bath in the winter; but remember, papa, if we do go, we must be in a good situation: none of your Queen Squares for us!” say the Musgrove girls. (One of the houses where Jane Austen lived in Bath was on Queen Anne’s Square-today it is the Jane Austen Centre, a most delightful museum with a wonderful bookstore.)

There is something so sweet and relaxing about hand quilting while someone reads Jane Austen to you and this librivox edition is most delightfully read by Elizabeth Klett.

You can download this free audio-book here or download the free e-book in pdf. or kindle format here.


Are you a Jane Austen fan? Visit the Jane Austen Center on-line and you can sign up for their on-line newsletter. Its filled with lots of fun…try out this sample quiz.


  1. Which of these was not a Jane Austen era carriage?
    1. A phaeton
    2. A chaise
    3. A brougham
  2. Which kind of flower was not available in Jane’s lifetime?
    1. Clematis
    2. Tulips
    3. Hyacinths
  3. What was a circulating library?
    1. A library carriage that tours around
    2. A round library room in a country house
    3. A paid subscription library
  4. A gentleman was required to wear which item of clothing in the presence of ladies?
    1. A hat
    2. A coat
    3. Gloves
  5. Which of these card games was not played during Jane’s time?
    1. Poker
    2. Whist
    3. Piquet
Answers will be in comments (I don't know how to do that upside down, backwards thing!)

Reviewed a book recently? Share it with us. Just add your book review post here in the Linky. Be sure to visit everyone and leave a comment. I think the best book recommendations come from friends.

.






7 comments:

Miri said...

Hi everyone! Here are the answers to the quiz:

1-c,2-a,3-c,4-b.5-a

GardenOfDaisies said...

Miri, I agree! Persuasion is my favorite as well.

Ulla said...

The quiz was difficult for me, as English is not my native language, but I knew clematis, coat and poker all right. I don't know Austen's Persuasion, I must see if it is available in the local library (a free one!).

Ivory Spring said...

What a fun Austen post.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

How funny that we both reviewed the same book today! Thanks for dropping by my blog - it's nice to meet you. :)

Terry @ La Bella Vie said...

OK so far I love this blog! You are a quilter, a collector and an Austen fan, what more could a girl ask for? Right now at OSF in Ashland Oregon the play Pride and Prejudice.

thanks for sharing!
Terry

jan said...

I love Jane Austen, too! I just re-read Persuasion, a few months ago! Loved re-visiting the story!