Sunday, June 20, 2010

Working on 3 projects at once: Yikes!

Look what DH surprised me with....It vacuumed and I machine quilted on my black, white and red log cabin...I think I'm in love!
I'm almost half done...I knew it would be slow going. I have to remember to machine quilt in the early morning or in the evenings when its a little cooler and the air conditioner works well enough. (In other words, when its in the low 90s rather than hovering around 100!)

I embroidered all the vines on the batik star and rosette quilt top and I like it. The trail isn't as noticeable as with the leaves but its there and gives that something extra.
While I was at the LQS teaching last Sunday, I picked up some silk ribbon in shades perfect for this quilt. I think I better test wash the dark purple and the maroon to make sure they don't run...oh, I hope they don't.
I've also been hand quilting on my double wedding ring...I put it on the frame ages ago and really didn't quilt much but now its the perfect summer project. I'm about half done with this "roll" of the frame, once its quilted all along the width of the quilt, then I'll roll again and finish this design.
I used a mixture of vintage fabrics and reproductions for the arcs of the DWR. Here are some pictures of some of the 1950s vintage fabric "wedges" in the quilt...
and here are some 1930s fabric including a feed sack on the right. You can see I'm outline quilting-very traditional!
Now I'm off to watch a film with DH and DS who came up to "rest" after a big final exam this morning...well, I'll watch a film if they can decide on what to order from pay-per-view! :)

14 comments:

Barb said...

Wow...I love what you are doing!!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Not only do I want something to vacuum for me but clean my house too! A magic wand perhaps? Your quilting is just gorgeous!!!

Micki said...

Your quilting is lovely! How did that vacuum do for you? We have it here, but would love to hear what you think of it.
Micki

Paulette said...

You're one busy lady, it looks like! Your hand quilting on the double wedding ring quilt is so nice. I love those vintage fabrics!

Riley said...

FABILOUS DWR!
I love your hand quilting. I think that may be my next project, will be my 2nd one to make. This one will be from 1930Repos, the other was just a scrappy
of everything.
Riley

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the double wedding ring - but only 3 projects in the works - come on you can do better than that :) LOL I've got too many going and wish it was 3 compared to the 8 or 9 that are in the works right now - hopefully i will take care of some of that the rest of the year.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Lee D said...

wow you have been very productive, love all that you do! stay cool

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Neat vacuum :o)
Ah! such great projects! You are inspiring! I love your handquilting.
I hope that the silk threads don't run too :o)

Blessings & Aloha!

Beth said...

Your hand quilting is wonderful - a gorgeous double wedding ring quilt!

jan said...

At least you are 'working' on three at once. I have too many projects 'going', but none of them are getting much work! I think that I have some of the fabric on the far right, in the photo with three sections. It's funny how different fabrics stay 'in circulation'!

Pamela Kieffer said...

You hand quilting is just exquisite.
Can you tell me how I can contact Pieces From My Scrapbook. I would like to read their blog but they don't recognize my name.
kief77@vabb.com

Heather said...

I like the design you chose for the quilting. Am looking forward to seeing more pics of this quilt.

Sharon said...

Your hand-quilting is beautiful! Love those vintage fabrics. I have some from the 50's & 60's that I'm trying to decide what to do with. The possibilities are enormous....

Anonymous said...

I love all your work; you use such vibrant, beautiful colors! I love the quilt with the 50's fabrics. I'm a sucker for vintage prints. :-)