Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Vintage Thursday Thingie: Silver Serving Pieces

Today I'm sharing some more silver serving pieces-these were my paternal grandmother's. These three serving spoons are European and from before 1920. How do I know this?
See the initials...DP intertwined. My grandmother's first name was Dora, hence the D. Now for the story of the P and why I can place and date the silverware by the initials.

My grandfather's older brother wrote his last name -which began with a P-with alot of fancy flourishes/curliques and I imagine that one of them dipped down. When he arrived in the US, the American immigration officer read that fancy P as a B and from then on my father's family name began with a B! :)

(As a kid I was very happy when I heard this story-I much preferred having a last name at the beginning of the alphabet...I didn't have to pay attention for very long during roll call!)
This is a serving fork and spoon...
Isn't this tulip pattern just wonderful? I've rarely seen such a naturalistic design on silver and you can see by the doily underneath how the design floats in the air.
Here are the marks...I haven't been able to find these anywhere. Anyone familiar with a mark that looks like a radio tower?
For more vintage treasures, visit Coloradolady-our wonderful Vintage Thursday Thingie hostess.

26 comments:

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

Beautiful silverware and family history. :-)

Julia said...

beautiful..lovely family treasures Miri..
Julia ♥

Anonymous said...

Do love the silverware. I do not know anything about that mark. You have a great collection and a good story.
QMM

Postcardy said...

That tulip pattern is very nice.

Jocelyn said...

Oh my these are so lovely. Great collection.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

俊翔 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
LV said...

That is a lovely pattern on the silverware. You have a real treasure with it.

Paulette said...

Oh, gosh, that tulip pattern is exquisite! Have you poked around on silvercollecting.com regarding the hallmark?

Tara Beaulieu said...

Gorgeous silver pieces! The tulip pattern is so intricate, I love it! Good luck researching the hallmark and let us know what you find out. Happy VTT!

Coloradolady said...

What an interesting story about the initials. Loved that! I have never seen that mark before....but the designs in the silver is amazing. Happy VTT!

jan said...

I love the tulip pattern! That is an interesting mark, too. I know what you mean about being at the beginning of the alphabet. I found out that it is very convenient after I was married. I want from the 'P's to the 'B's!

malkah said...

Great story. Reminds me of the joke about the "Shane Ferguson" Ellis Island name change.

CC said...

Miri..
Such a wonderful story you shared, and the silverware is simply gorgeous. Happy VTT...

Susan Freeman said...

Those are charming silver pieces! What treasures!!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Ann said...

Those are striking. The carving on the serving pieces are beautiful. How wonderful to have them with initials.

Susan said...

Beautiful silverware and cute story. I use to zone out after my name was called which was close to the beginning--D.

Diann said...

These are just beautiful family treasures!

Unknown said...

Such gorgeous pieces! I traded a B maiden name for a P married name. Glad I went thru school closer to the head of the alphabet :)

Blessings!
Gail

Stacey said...

I wish I could help you identify your silver. A mystery just waiting to be solved! And the pieces are beautiful- really great family heirlooms.

Heather said...

Very nice, thanks for sharing those lovely pieces. Isn't it amazing how the imigration officers changed so many names. My grandfather experienced the same thing.

Michelle said...

What lovely family heirlooms and interesting story about them too!

Sally Annie Magundy said...

So beautiful!

Happy VTT!
Sally

Anonymous said...

Beautiful silverware and such a great story.

farmlady said...

Beautiful pieces! I tried to find the radio tower mark and couldn't. The silver flatware might be European. Keep looking. The answer is out there somewhere.
Lovely post...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your story-the silverware is beautiful!

Tallulah's Antique Closet said...

I luv your silver collection! Thank You for stopping by today. Have a great weekend.........Julian