Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tuesdays Tomes: Buttered Side Down by Edna Ferber

Tuesdays Tomes is a weekly book review of vintage books available free on-line.

Buttered Side Down by Edna Ferber

I usually don’t like short stories-I’m just getting to know the characters and poof-that’s it. Done! But I did enjoy this collection of short stories by Edna Ferber. Yes, I finished some of the stories itching to know more but on the whole, they were very satisfactory in themselves and quite entertaining.

From the humorous “Bush League Hero” to the poignant “One of the Old Girls” this collection of 13 stories is well worth reading (though you may want to skip the horribly tragic last story-I didn’t make it to the end). The dialogue is wonderful and the slang just rings, “Hey, kid!” Edna Ferber’s descriptive powers are amazing. In “Maymeys From Cuba” she made me see a common vegetable in a totally new light-”…a choice head of cauliflower, so exquisite in its ivory and green perfection as to be fit for a bride’s bouquet.” Will you ever look at a cauliflower the same way again?

I really enjoyed her little side comments about short story writers, descriptions of clothing in books and more. These comments often introduced the stories and I felt like I was having a conversation with a dear friend, a writer, who was letting me in on the secrets of her craft.

Beautifully read by Madera, you can download this free audio-book here or the free e-book in pdf. or kindle format here.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I'm in agreement with you on short stories. I generally am left wanting more.

love the cover on this book. That in itself would make me want to pick it up.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Oh I love reading vintage books on my kindle! short stories are really great for waiting room reading