Monday, June 29, 2009

Spring Blossoms Mini Quilt Swap Revealed

This is the quilt that I sent Mindy ( and she received) for the Spring Blossoms Mini Quilt Swap. I loved making this yo-yo basket quilt. Its all hand made (well, I did add the binding on one side by machine :).

It was alot of fun...there really was no pattern to follow, I just counted the bottom row of yo-yos, appliqued them in place and then subtracted and later added to the length of each row to create the basket shape. I laid out the handle yo-yos and then I basted them in place (only basting I did ;) I added the stems, (I had an oops there-I'd appliqued all of the top row of yo-yos so I had to open the ones I wanted the stems to go under and then re-applique them), then the flowers and then the leaves-sliding them under the basted handle as need be. Then I finally appliqued the handle on.

Remember when I had all that computer trouble: this quilt is the silver lining. I had plenty of time for doing my own hand work since I couldn't go looking at all the wonderful work being done elsewhere. (BTW, it happened again this week-end! but this time the cable company finally sent a repairman so I hope that is finally done with!)

Here's a close up of the yo-yos. They're 5/8" in circumference...1/2" just didn't look as good. You can see I used lots of 30s repros.

Here's a close-up of the hand-quilting. I used the little birds from the love birds heart that I designed for the wedding quilt.


Stop off at Mindy's blog and check out her beautiful applique quilt Fleur Pastelles.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love the yo-yos. Love that it's hand quilted too. Awesome!

Susan said...

Ooooh Miri, this is just wonderful. I love those yo-yos. Have never seen them used like this. Yes, this quilt really says Spring!

Lee D said...

That is absolutely beautiful, so delicate and great hand quilting too!

Paula, the quilter said...

That is just too precious!

The Stiletto Mom said...

OMG....so pretty! I wish I had the talent to do that, I love nothing more than a gorgeous, comfy quilt!

Julia said...

It's gorgeous Miri...I love it!
So fresh and pretty..
I do love yo-yo's..
Julia ♥

Eileen said...

his is a stunning piece of artwork. I hope the recipient treasures it!!! I know the work that goes into making those tiny yo-yos.

Neabear said...

Wow!!!! This is gorgeous! I can definitely appreciate the time that went into making this. So special!