Friday, October 21, 2011

Happy Circle Quilt

When I was in Boston last spring, I hand pieced the quarter circles I had left over from cutting my yellow and white Drunkard's Path quilt but I hadn't done anything with the circles. I was thinking about it however.

I wanted to machine applique them but I didn't want to do raw edge applique. So I decided to use non-woven iron-on interfacing. I thought of the shiny (glue) side of the interfacing as the right side and I pinned the circles to a rough cut square of the interfacing-right sides to right sides.
Then I sewed with a 1/4" seam allowance around the circles, trimmed the interfacing, and carefully slit the back of the interfacing.
Then I turned the circles out...
and laid them on red and white striped square and pressed. The iron-on interfacing held well enough that I could sew them (using a buttonhole stitch) without any pins.

The circles were about 9" and I played around a bit with the size of the striped square until I decided I liked a square that would finish at 11". (Any bigger and I thought the red was too dominant.)

I wondered if the interfacing would act as a lining and not let the red stripe show through but it didn't, so I cut out the centers.
Then I started playing with them on my design wall and I liked them off-set. It just added to the fun.
So I sewed it all together with sashing that finished at 3", then added a 3" outer border in white too and a fun red and yellow 3" square outer border.
I'm linking to Finished for Friday at Lit and Laundry and to Can I Get a Whoop Whoop. Hop on over and see all the terrific stuff happening.

11 comments:

Barb said...

Oh...just love how your quilt turned out.

Martha said...

This is a very clever method, and one that is new to me. It gives a nice smooth edge to the circle. Well done!

Barbara Bamberger said...

Really nice strong graphic design, Miri! Great idea to use the interfacing.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Super cool quilt! I struggle with circles - I'll those to you.

Paulette said...

I love it! Love the fun, visual impact with the strong colors and the offset circles in a square. Really cool!

JanetK said...

beautiful! so graphic

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

That really turned out pretty, Miri! And I really like that you used your leftovers.

Sarah Craig said...

Very pretty! Thanks for sharing your process, too!! Whoop whoop!!

Jilly said...

Thanks for the sharing and motivating to finish a project. Last week I had a finish but no time to blog. This time I was determined to participate and have spent the last four hours with blogging issues. Just now I started work on quilt.
exterior door mats

Anonymous said...

Love it! I made a similar circle quilt using the interfacing early this year but used invisible thread to stitch them down. Love the added texture from your stitches!

Whoop!

Susan said...

I like this method using the interfacing when working with circles. This is such a cheerful quilt and nice way to use left-overs.