Friday, October 21, 2011

Happy Circle Quilt

When I was in Boston last spring, I hand pieced the quarter circles I had left over from cutting my yellow and white Drunkard's Path quilt but I hadn't done anything with the circles. I was thinking about it however.

I wanted to machine applique them but I didn't want to do raw edge applique. So I decided to use non-woven iron-on interfacing. I thought of the shiny (glue) side of the interfacing as the right side and I pinned the circles to a rough cut square of the interfacing-right sides to right sides.
Then I sewed with a 1/4" seam allowance around the circles, trimmed the interfacing, and carefully slit the back of the interfacing.
Then I turned the circles out...
and laid them on red and white striped square and pressed. The iron-on interfacing held well enough that I could sew them (using a buttonhole stitch) without any pins.

The circles were about 9" and I played around a bit with the size of the striped square until I decided I liked a square that would finish at 11". (Any bigger and I thought the red was too dominant.)

I wondered if the interfacing would act as a lining and not let the red stripe show through but it didn't, so I cut out the centers.
Then I started playing with them on my design wall and I liked them off-set. It just added to the fun.
So I sewed it all together with sashing that finished at 3", then added a 3" outer border in white too and a fun red and yellow 3" square outer border.
I'm linking to Finished for Friday at Lit and Laundry and to Can I Get a Whoop Whoop. Hop on over and see all the terrific stuff happening.

11 comments:

Barb said...

Oh...just love how your quilt turned out.

Martha said...

This is a very clever method, and one that is new to me. It gives a nice smooth edge to the circle. Well done!

Barbi, The Quilt Center said...

Really nice strong graphic design, Miri! Great idea to use the interfacing.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Super cool quilt! I struggle with circles - I'll those to you.

P. said...

I love it! Love the fun, visual impact with the strong colors and the offset circles in a square. Really cool!

JanetK said...

beautiful! so graphic

Muddling Through said...

That really turned out pretty, Miri! And I really like that you used your leftovers.

Sarah Craig said...

Very pretty! Thanks for sharing your process, too!! Whoop whoop!!

Jilly said...

Thanks for the sharing and motivating to finish a project. Last week I had a finish but no time to blog. This time I was determined to participate and have spent the last four hours with blogging issues. Just now I started work on quilt.
exterior door mats

FabricsNQuilts said...

Love it! I made a similar circle quilt using the interfacing early this year but used invisible thread to stitch them down. Love the added texture from your stitches!

Whoop!

Susan said...

I like this method using the interfacing when working with circles. This is such a cheerful quilt and nice way to use left-overs.