Sunday, April 11, 2010

I Made Slipcovers!

Before the allergies struck and before the guests arrived, I decided that our sofa was looking very sad and needed a facelift...so I decided to make slipcovers. I've never done anything like this ever but I saw other bloggers writing about making slipcovers and theirs looked pretty good so I thought I'd give it a go.

I made a paper pattern and using the floor as my work table, pinned the pieces to the fabric and cut. (This is the only pix as I was working...I really got into it and forgot about the camera).
Here's the finish! Pretty good! (OK, I was very smart or lucky and all the wonky iffy spots are covered by the seat cushions!)
I really like it-I like the relaxed (wrinkly) look of it. The throw pillows show the original upholstered fabric (which we are planning to change-DH is going to the US soon and will return with new fabric and then we'll have the sofa professionally reupholstered but I may still use my slipcover during the summer months-I really like it!).
So if you have a chair or sofa that needs a new look...try slipcovers. If I could do it, so can you!


8 comments:

karenfae said...

great job Miri!! I'm afraid I have not tried slipcovers I'm afraid I would mess them up.
Kaen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Lee said...

good for you. i hope the allergies are getting better for you

Barb said...

You are amazing, that is a wonderful job and I love the fabric you chose.....

Susan said...

I, too, like the fabric. I've never made slip covers but came real close a few times. I like the idea of having them for the summer. It does lighten the look.

黃政弘 said...

Knowledge is a treasure, but practice is the key to it...................................................

malkah said...

The floor under the paper pattern brought back "spongeh" memories of cleaning the tile floor in my Jerusalem apartment when I was a student. For those who live outside Israel, the 4-step method for cleaning floors is a) Sweep away dirt. b) Wet the surface with soapy water and let it soak a bit. c) Push the dirty water into a drain using your "spongeh," which is basically a squeegee on a long stick. d) Go over the area again with your spongeh and a clean damp cloth.

Carrie P. said...

Great job! You are so talented.

Pink and Polka Dot said...

great job! it looks fantastic!