First off, the Black and White Challenge. For my first quilt, I chose red as the extra color and log cabin as the pattern-but a log cabin with a difference. I'm still into exploring what happens when I play with color/value placement using a familiar and straightforward block-much like what I did in the Plaid quilt (9/9/08 post).
First off, all of the blocks have red used as the center and on the light side. Then I played with adding a little light to the dark side internally...
then internally and externally...to make a "mini" block in the middle...
and then the dark coming over to the light side.
This is the basic block without any shenanigans. I also varied the widths of the logs (as you may have noticed!) getting that bold black to really stand out.
I actually have 3 quilts in mind for the B&W challenge-this and one more are patterns I've wanted to play with for a while and the other is fabric based: I bought this wonderful fabric in 1992 or thereabouts and its been in the closet ever since...I will solve how best to use it this year!
I also want to continue with the idea of quilting up alot of the tops in the closet-I don't know if a quilt a month will be practicable-several large bed quilts are in there. I also want to quilt tops that I finish this year and not just add them to the pile...lets see if I have luck with that :)
I'll also have to find more storage space: quilts take up lots more room than tops!