Friday, April 20, 2012

The double wedding ring quilt is getting a binding

My idea of trying to use a fold over from the back binding was very wrong headed and I quickly saw it was not going to work ( I trimmed and tried it out only a small bit where I knew it might be problematic-and it was!) So I've made some bias binding...quite a bit actually.




 I had some wonderful Brooklyn Dodger's blue and I cut a 27" square to start for the tube. You can find really good instructions here from the Oregon Coastal Quilters Organization. I don't make bias binding very often and found their pictures helped me to remember what to do. I do do one thing differently-I mark a 1/4" line (see the bottom edge)




 so when I pin the two marked edges together I can put the pin through the X



 and then I find the lines of each section match perfectly after sewing.




And now the binding is sewn on and pinned and ready to be finished by hand!

4 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I always find scallop binding difficult and not something I look forward to! Your blue is looking great and yes bias is the way to go.
Karen

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Oh, wow, Miri - that is gorgeous!

Roslyn said...

Something to celebrate Miri, it looks wonderful! Good reminder on the binding, I usually either way overestimate or just underestimate when I make bias binding! I had nerly 7 yards left over one time,LOL.

Roslyn said...

I am passing to you Miri the Liebster Award! Please check email for details!