Friday, April 21, 2023

Washing a Charm Pack


I'm starting a new quilt and I want to use these darks/mediums from my stash. The problem is that I don't have enough lights left in my stash...so I decided to purchase a charm pack of lights-Butter Churn Basics by Henry Glass. Then I thought did I want to mix the unwashed charm pack with the washed fabrics from my stash.  I'm not really sure that shrinkage would be a problem but...so I hand washed the charm pack in the sink .


I hung them on the small rack I have and put it out on the screened in porch. It was quite breezy and they dried quickly.



They ironed up beautifully as you can see. So if you're ever not sure, wash the precut. It works. If there was any shrinkage it was irregular and less than a 1/16".

I'm now ready to start this project...as soon as I finish the one I'm working on! :)


 

2 comments:

Paulette said...

Good to know your experience. I hand washed part of a charm pack once and they shrank a full 1/4 inch, which was disappointing. Maybe I'll try it again sometime and see.

Miri said...

I used only cool water and an Ivory soap bar. Ivory soap was originally intended for washing "fine" washables so I thought that was a safe choice.