Monday, June 7, 2010

Quilting log cabin and I think I've solved a problem

I started quilting on my black, white and red log cabin. I'm again doing a loopdy loop pattern-I liked doing it on my string quilt-but I'm trying to get rounder circles this time. Its gotten hot here and the air conditionering just doesn't cool my sewing room very well so I'm going to try to get some quilting in early in the morning before it gets too hot. It will be slow going-I quilted in the white on two squares and then ran out of room!Here's the back...its a Nancy Crow fabric that I've had for years-again waiting for just the right quilt. Isn't it perfect?!
Every summer I start to think about hand sewing projects-this project has been bugging me for quite a while but I think I have a solution. The stars are machine pieced and the rosettes are hand applique. After I put the rosettes on I had this brilliant idea-add leaves in a criss-cross pattern. I love how it looked basted...but if you look at the top row-you'll see the problem. It looks awful-UGH- when appliqued. I know the problem is that I should have thought of the leaves earlier! but what to do now. I tried larger leaves, different shape leaves...all to no avail.But I think I've got it solved now. Forget the leaves-what I like is the trail between the rosettes.
I'm thinking silk ribbon! I'm going to add to this feather vine-padded silk ribbon flowers. I think I thought of this because I showed my crazy quilt for the Spring Quilt Festival-I'm going to do something similar to the vines on the fan. Hope this works because this poor top has been sitting around for years! Seriously, I just couldn't think of anything and I just wouldn't give up!

7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I didn't see a problem with the leaves, I like the trail between the flowers.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Susan said...

I love seeing your log cabin and now the quilting is coming beautifully. And the backing is a purfect match. I am glad you didn't give up on the other quilt. Using silk ribbon sounds interesting, keep us informed as o how it turns out.

Apron Thrift Girl said...

These are so stunning. I don't quilt so I have no advice but they look so beautiful. I don't see anything wrong with them.

Margaret said...

I really like the leaves in the top photo. Not sure the embroidery will be visible from a distance.
Margaret

Sharon said...

I think the quilting on your log cabin quilt is wonderful! Very round loops. . .they're great! I wish mine came out so good.

Your red string quilt is super...just outstanding! I've never seen one set like that, and I really like it. Very striking.

Rose Marie said...

I really like the idea of the applique leaves .... the smaller leaves will give the same effect and not interfere with your rosettes .... Love this look, this pattern!

Ulla said...

Your loopy quilting looks great. The appliqué quilt deserves to be finished. Your silk ribbon flowers in the crazy quilt were beautiful, and I'm sure they will work fine here too.