Monday, June 28, 2010

Tuesday's Tomes: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

WARNING: Don’t buy this book…get it from your public library!

I don’t know what I expected from this book (which I did buy!) but certainly not what I got! Whole pages-page after page-simply lifted from Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice with hardly a zombie in sight! True, Elizabeth fights some zombies on her way to Netherfield (hence her dirty slip) and the girls see some zombies on the walk to Meryton, but then we’re back in the real book and they go on to meet Mr. Wickham.

I at least expected someone should have saved someone from a zombie just in the nick of time. I wouldn’t go so far as I expected my son’s gleeful suggestion: “Elizabeth has to kill Darcy because he’s turned zombie”.

I can’t even call this a silly book-after all 99% of it is Jane Austen’s P & P, it’s simply scandalous. (Useful perhaps if you have a teenager who turns up her/his nose at reading Jane Austen-just hand them this-they won’t even know what’s happened to them!)

Anyone out there with a talent for writing…may I suggest Sense and Sensibility and Vampires-you’re sure to make a killing!

I’ve just heard that there will be a movie! (Scheduled release is 2011) Let’s just hope that the Zombie scenes will be as much fun to watch as this not-in-the-original-book scene from the BBC mini series of Pride and Prejudice.




Reviewed a book recently? Share it with us. Just add your book review post here in the Linky. Be sure to visit everyone and leave a comment.I think the best book recommendations come from friends.

4 comments:

jan said...

Thanks for the heads up on the book. I have nearly purchased it a time or two. Also for the link! I have just spent a half hour watching P&P clips!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
concretenprimroses said...

I bought it too. I expected a spoof on P&P (which I love) actually written by someone. This is just stupid. I kept the book with my Austen collection because I like the cover and title. That's about it.
Kathy

Heather said...

I'll give the library copy a try. I was hoping that the zombies would invade all parts of the book such as the vampires did in Emma and the Vampires